bling.github.io

This blog has relocated to bling.github.io.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Best tool for the job...

So I recently moved, and my new place doesn't make internet by wire all that accessible...so now I have a big honkin desktop computer with no internet, but I have a little netbook which has wireless. Hmmmm...my netbook's main operating system is Archlinux...and Linux is strong in networking...so it should be easy to set it up right? Right I was! - give my ethernet an IP address and start it # ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig eth1 up - enable packet forwarding and reboot (or modify /proc) # set /etc/sysctl.conf to set net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 - set up iptables # iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE Done! Now on my desktop I just set it to static IP 192.168.0.2, connected to my gateway 192.168.0.1, and boom, I got internet! Now I can wait patiently for a wireless adapter to go on sale...

No comments: